Online learning at the University of Illinois at Springfield has provided access for students who have been disenfranchised from higher education by geography, employment demands, life circumstances, and other considerations.
The response has been overwhelming - data for this fall semester:
· 26.2% of UIS students are online majors.
· At 1,301, the majors increased by 101 from Fall 2008
· 30.9% of credits were generated in online courses.
· 50.4% of UIS students took at least one course online.
· 30.2% were registered only in online courses.
· The average age for online students is 35.